Friday, December 01, 2006

12 month check up and more!

The babies had their 12 month check up today. Normally it's just shots at 12 months, but their Pediatrician wanted to do a visit as well to discuss meds, and any concerns.

We are upping Mady's dose of reglan since she's started coughing and wheezing a lot again. She coughs really bad at night. Hopefully a stronger dose will help. Other than that we are keeping everything else the same. He was so pleased to see the huge amounts of progress Mady has made in the past 6 weeks. The therapies she's receiving is helping her tremendously!!! I know I've mentioned before that she sees 4 therapists who work with her on a variety of things. These people have been wonderful! Without their services, and the techniques they've taught me...well I'd still be a basket case worried sick about her lack of progress. I am not exaggerating when I say that people are AMAZED at how far she's come. All the hard work she's done is starting to show, and you can see it in her eyes how delighted she is to be able to DO some of the things that Katy's been doing for months! She's such a happy girl, when she smiles her whole face lights up. You can see the smile in her eyes. And I am so happy to report that Mady giggled 2 nights ago for the first time! I've never heard her laugh, but could tell that she'd laugh on the inside. She could just never get the sound out. Jacob was making funny faces at her, and out came a laugh that sounds very similar to her cry. But it was the sweetest sound! I teared up and picked her up and just hugged her. Of course I told Jacob to repeat the sillyness that got her laughing, but she hasn't done it since. Another fun thing Mady has figured out to do as of last night, CLAPPING! She's been doing it all day today. So cute!

O.K so ready for the BIG Mady news?! She weighs 15 lbs!!! I was so shocked and in disbelief I made the nurse weigh her again to be sure. The girl gained 1.5 lbs since her last weigh in about 6 or 7 weeks ago! That's her biggest gain ever. We actually saw a spike UP on her growth chart! I'm telling you, her therapists along with our determination and her hard work equal VERY GOOD THINGS!!! Her new nickname is beef cake. I'm praying that she continues in this upward direction. She is awesome!

I talked to Dr. F about Katelyn's episodes. I've seen more of the starring to the left, and some brief blank outs, her muscle spasams aren't very noticable but I can see them every once in a while. His recommendation was to see the pediatric nuerologist again to see if we should be concerned. It could be that she needs a higher dose of topimax. He also checked out Katelyn's eyes since we've noticed her crossing her left eye, and not tracking well with it. He said he didn't notice it, but it'd be a good idea to see her pedi opthamologist. And we will have to go to Portland for that. Katelyn's weight wasn't a very big gain. She weighed in at 15lbs 3oz. We expected it to be around 16lbs. Dr. F said it's not a big deal, but we'll watch it closely to make sure it's not a trend. I can't believe my girls are within 3oz of eachother. They haven't been this close in weight since they were first born...2oz apart. I think Katelyn subconsiously decided to slow down a bit to allow Mady to catch up! She really loves her sissy!

Katelyn has added lalala to her babbling, and has sad mama once! I try to get her to say it but it's always dada! NO FAIR!!! Of course she doesn't know what the heck she's saying, but I just want to hear it. Katy has also demonstrated that she has the unique talent of rolling her tongue like her big brother Jacob. She does it a lot too, that and lalala, and clapping! As for the standing up I reported 2 posts ago, she hasn't done it since! She did it a few times for like 2 days and now nothing. But both girls can get into a sitting position all on their own now! Considering Madelyn just learned to sit unassisted a couple weeks ago, I'd say she's becoming a bit of an over-achiever!

I have become addicted to Robeez shoes. I can't help myself, they are just so stinkin cute! And they stay on! I put them on and try as they might the girls can't get them off. Finally shoes that stay on babies feet! So if anyone is looking for a Christmas gift idea for the girls, they'd love some in the 6-12 month size. They are also recommended by our Occupational and Physical therpaists!

The taggies blankets and plush toys we got them for their B-day have been a big hit. The girls love to snuggle them, and they are the perfect size.

This weekend we're gearing up for Christmas. I'm so excited to go get our tree. Ian will hang the lights on the house hopefully on Saturday. It's our first Christmas in this house, and I'm really excited to get it decorated. We have no Christmas shopping done, but that's no big surpise! We always procrastinate. Hopefully we can get some done this weekend. Should be fun!

Hopefully I won't go so long till my next post! Peace!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Sounds like the girls are doing so well! I am always amazed at how much they have changed just in between each blog post. Keep it up, K&M!

liz.mccarthy said...

I love the Robeez too, all summer Kaitlyn never wore shoes, but now that she's standing and all (with assistance), I love the shoes because they stay on!