Tuesday, September 05, 2006

First day of 1st grade

Our first baby has started 1st grade today. Jacob was so excited for this day to come. For weeks he counted down..."only such & such days till school starts Mommy" he'd say. He really enjoyed his time off this summer by playing with friends, fishing with dad, playing X box, swimming in our backyard pool, watching a bit too much t.v. But he LOVES school! Of course I am very glad that he really enjoys school, and is super excited about being there...BUT, today was very hard for me in a totally different way than when he started pre-school or kindergarten. Today it REALLY hit me that my baby is growing up, he's not a little 3 year old boy anymore, he's becoming a BIG KID!!! He had a bit of the 1st day jitters when I took him into his class. I smiled & told him he was going to have such an awesome time, stayed with him for about the first 10 minutes of class, getting him settled. Then off I went leaving my baby behind, of course crying as I walked back to the van. Heck I'm still crying this evening. I'm very surprised at how emotional I've been today. I guess I just kinda feel like it's the end of an era. My time with him being home with me as a little guy is now officially over, and now his days will be filled with school, friends, homework and undoubtedly less Mommy time. When I picked him up today, I was so happy to hear about how those 1st day jitters quickly changed to lots of fun & excitement, he told me lots of details of all the new experiences he'd had today. Making new friends, meeting a new teacher, reccess, eating lunch in the cafeteria for the 1st time, reccess, rules, oh & did I mention reccess? I know I'll get over this little pitty party I'm having for myself today, which by the way was completely overshadowed by all the celebrating we did for Jacob. I just wish time didn't go by so damn fast! I wish I could freeze it for a bit, and keep him my little 3 year old boy who only had eyes for his Mamma. Here's to growing up! Jacob your daddy & I couldn't be more proud of you, and the sweet young man you are growing into. We love you!!!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm sorry, I can't discuss this with you because if one of your kids is now going to first grade then that means that my kids will someday go to first grade! And maybe if I don't talk to you about it, then it won't be contagious and my babies will stay little forever!

Okay, all kidding aside, it sounds like you did a great job not breaking down in front of Jacob. I might have to contact you in a few years to get some tips for how to do that :)