Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Multiples in the womb

I thought I'd share this program from the National Geographic Channel. It's called multiples inside the womb. It shows real life pictures/video of multiples in the womb and 4d imaging. I really wanted to point it out because they do a portion on momo twins, which is what Katy & Mady's gestation was. It will be airing on Thursday at 5:00 pm PT on the national geographic channel. So if any of you are interested in seeing all of what momo twins have to go through in the womb, and the battle they face from the very beginning, I highly recommend watching this program. I've not seen it yet, but am looking forward to watching it.

In all of the countless ultrasounds we had done, we really got to see quite a bit of their development. There were times when they were so tangled up that you couldn't tell what limb belonged to what baby. Their cords became so tangled and knotted that it resembles a big ball of yarn. They had dopplers done on their cords daily after I was admitted to the hospital for constant monitoring. I remember minutes after they were born, my peri came and showed me the ball of mess that they had created while swimming around eachother for those 27 weeks. It was horrifying to see what could've happened. There were SO MANY knots. I was so thankful I had received such great care and they were able to catch their cord accident in time. A cord accident if you don't know is when the cords are knotted and pulled so tightly that it cuts off the flow of blood and oxygen to one or both babies. In this case both babies heart rates were in jeopardy, but Katelyn's was plummeting. I cannot even express in words the fear that completely overcame me.

Now in retrospect I feel completely blessed and so incredibley thankful to God for taking care of my sweet girls. We have had such an amazing outcome. Unfortunately that is not always the case. We have both our girls with us, and so many lose one or both babies. The rarity of this type of identical twin pregnancy is a good thing. It is the second rarest type of twin conception after conjoined twins. It is something that is not supposed to happen. All which happens just because the egg splits later than it's supposed to. In momo twins it splits after the 9th day of fertilization. In conjoined twins it splits after day 12. Noramally in identical twins the egg splits at about the 4th day after fertilazation!

Anyway I just wanted to share a little bit about momo twins with you all, and to really bring some light to how unique and miraculous these babies are. Of course I think all babies are unique and miraculous. But seeing my babies battle for the chance just to be born makes me thank the Lord that they won that battle. That they are here, and happy and healthy. So much to be thankful for...So very blessed.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I saw the special and was thinkign of Katy and Mady every time they talked about momo twins. It really is so amazing that they are here today--God is good!

Anonymous said...

dang it! i missed it.

s. tsy