Thursday, August 23, 2007

eyes

Finally had our long awaited appt with Dr. Wheeler (the girl's eye doc) yesterday. It was a routine appt that we have to do every 6 months because of their extreme prematurity. I was in a way dreading this appt. because Katelyn has had some issues with crossing her eyes, the right one is especially bad. It has gotten progressively worse over time. Dr. Wheeler said she has strabismus and is farsighted. Most little ones are farsighted at their age...so not a huge deal there. Her's is a bit on the moderate side, so we are hoping that it will decrease over time and not get worse. As far as the stabismus goes, he decided not to do anything at this point, and see how it's doing at her next appt. The crossing is due to muscle issues, and can be fixed with either wearing glasses (what we are hoping will work) or eye surgery to repair the muscle that causes the crossing. If it goes untreated it can cause the eyes to not work together effeciently, and can lead to very poor vision problems. Not to mention it looks awful when her eyes are crossed. So we are praying that the issue will resolve in the next 6 months until her appt in feb.

Madelyn checked out great, with just a smidge of farshightedness! She will be seen in feb as well, since she's still at high risk.

This is a minor issue, compared to many other preemies born at the same gestation. But I am still upset that she may have to go through surgery, and most definitely will need glasses at such a young age. We will see what happens from here. Just one more reminder of their rough beginnings in this world, and how much risk there is for these little girls developing issues from their prematurity.

I know all that extra omega 3 I took helped in having their eyes be as healthy as they are. It could be so much worse. But I know through God's grace, everything that happened during my pregnancy happened because of him. He helped me to prepare for their extremely early arrival, and has carried us through since.

I promise to post new pictures soon...my battery is charging on my camera so I can upload them tonight.

Peace!

1 comment:

Claremont First Ward said...

I can't wait to see more pictures. I'm sorry the eye appointment was disappointing. It's never easy to hear that your baby has something wrong....you have such a beautiful family!